[vfio-users] Cannot fix Error 43 for GTX 680 passed through to win 10 guest

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 20:59:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-10-15 at 18:31 +0000, root at yoshi.dynu.com wrote:
> Sound via USB works fine now.. was a problem with the sampling rate.
> setting it it 48 kHz solved the background noise.
>
> Is there any way to fix the error produced when passing through the
> onboard sound card? I'd really like to have full surround capability in
> the windows VM.

This seems to be a problem that Intel has already fixed since most
people have pretty good luck using the onboard audio.  Unfortunately,
X58 is pretty old and there's not likely to be much interest from Intel
or the development community to figure out what's wrong.  You should
also factor in that your Westmere processor isn't going to have the same
virtualization performance as a modern Haswell, which makes the problem
even less interesting.

If you only need audio out, maybe you can pull it off the HDMI or DVI
port of the GTX680 since you're assigning it anyway.  Maybe your monitor
already has an analog or SPDIF output.  Are there any PCIe slots left on
the board?  A cheap plugin sound card may be an option.  Thanks,

Alex