[vfio-users] FYI: SR-IOV GPU from AMD

Jon Panozzo jonp at lime-technology.com
Sat Sep 5 05:28:08 UTC 2015

Pretty much what I figured.  I still don't think 3D graphics over a
remote connection is a good experience for the user, even with
protocols like HDX (formally Citrix ICA).  Having sold Citrix
solutions for many years, I can tell you that was always one aspect
that just never really delivered on the promise.

Also, we're not in the 100mbps LAN era anymore (it's 1gbps now).  I
haven't seen a 100mbps switch in ages.  That said, while VNC can be
pretty awful, there are plenty of other solutions that handle remote
graphics on a LAN connection pretty well (just look at Steam In Home
Streaming).  And I'm curious on how things continue to progress on the
SPICE front.  Seems like Redhat is starting to align SPICE + VirtIO.
Curious is the QXL driver project is going to be deprecated in favor
of virtio-gpu too...