[vfio-users] VFIO + ZFS build

globalgorrilla at fastmail.fm globalgorrilla at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 14 19:58:10 UTC 2015

I'm running ZFSoL on 4.1.6 and using an R9 290 and Quadro 2000.

Both cards run well (both reset and are fully supported in the VM with
HyperV extensions).

ZFS is memory hungry and I could use more than 32 GB RAM.

ZFSoL as of a couple days supports Linux 4.2 but my QEMU/OVMF VMs don't
work with 4.2. I've heard some here say it might be OVMF.

My biggest issue once I figured out the quirks for my MB has been that
of IRQ sharing on my Z97 board (Z97-WS).

The Quadro especially does not like to share an IRQ (with any other
device). The Radeons seem less drastically affected but some
combinations of Radeons don't work with shared IRQs. That seems to be
something with the cards and not specific to vfio or Linux. ASUS
documents their IRQ combinations but in reality once you disable some
onboard devices it's a crapshoot as to what IRQs get assigned. Your
board's manual doesn't mention IRQ assignments and I don't have an
LGA-2011 board so I don't know what you might expect.

I'd stick with the 290 over the newer Radeons as the reset mechanisms
are pretty hacky and custom to the card and I'm not sure what support
there is for beyond the 290(X).

Finally, I am using a Intel 750 and a SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4. That is
an NVME drive and PLX U.2 switch/connector is it's working fine with
ZFS. I'd go with that over any SATA based controller/drive. The
interrupt overhead is much lower. It does take a slot (and IRQ) though.
My board with a PLX switch helps, leaving just the IRQ whack-a-mole
headache.