[vfio-users] Usb sound card passtrough - fail

Mateusz Górczak gorczak.mateusz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 18:04:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have been trying to passtrough my usb sound card (Creative Sound Blaster
X-Fi Pro USB). My host is arch linux and my guest - win 8.1. I use qemu-kvm
with ovmf.

Windows recognize my sound card and works perfectly, but after a while
(about 30 second of playing music), a lot of noises are occured. I also
install windows 10 (just for compare) the problem are exactly the same. I
also trying run ubuntu as a guest, but after passtrough my sound card *all
usb devices turn off *- even the ones, which are not passtrough to guest
(without passing sound card, ubuntu works perfectly).

On my host (arch) card works great, so there are no problem with the card
itself (I believe...; also on 'native' Windows there is no problem with the
card).

Any advice? Qemu doesn't print anything useful.
If you need more information - just ask.

my config (minimal - only mouse, keyboard and sound card are passtrough to
guest):

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 5G -cpu host,kvm=off \
-smp 4,sockets=1,cores=4,threads=2 \
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF-pure-efi.fd
\
-drive
if=pflash,format=raw,file=/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_VARS-pure-efi.fd
\
-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi \
-drive file=Downloads/virtio-win-0.1.96.iso,id=virtiocd,if=none -device
ide-cd,bus=ide.1,drive=virtiocd \
-drive file=ubuntu15.iso,id=isocd,if=none -device scsi-cd,drive=isocd \
-vga none \
-drive file=windowsUefi.img,id=disk,format=raw,if=none -device
scsi-hd,drive=disk \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=01:00.1 \
-usb -usbdevice host:09da:1343 \