[vfio-users] vfio help needed (nvidia GTX 750 Ti persistent code 43)

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:50:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:05 AM, Mogliii <mogliii at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 9/17/2015 2:24 PM, Blank Field wrote:
>
> Read alex's blog at vfio.blogspot.com
> He has the same GPU and gives you hardware recommendations.
>
> I found it, but on the page it also says that " I wouldn't necessarily
> recommend this particular setup (it's probably only available on ebay
> anymore anyway)".
> Any specific chipset I should aim for? I guess the CPU (i3, i5 or i7)
> won't make a big difference as long as VTx is shown in the datasheet? The
> google docs file shows many older models that are not not sold anymore.
> Especially I would like to pick a motherboard that has proper iommu
> separation of the primary pcie-slot. So I don't need kernel patching.
>
> But it should be possible to make it work, but it took me a year to figure
> out how.
>
> Sorry, I have other things to do within the next year ^^

i3 does not have VT-d support, not an option.

i5, i7, and Xeon E3 do not have isolation on the processor root ports, my
blog explains how that limits your options.

We have quirks providing isolation for most Intel PCH root ports:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/pci/quirks.c#n3743

Note that Skylake chipsets are not included in that list and will currently
have issues with isolation and grouping.

I do make specific recommendations, E5 or better Xeon and X79 or X99
chipset.  There are cheaper configurations, but you need to understand how
they limit your options.  And as others have noticed, even the recommended
platform does not provide full isolation of every integrated I/O device.

Some people like AMD system and there are a number of users that seem to be
getting along ok on 990FX systems.  We have some isolation quirks for those
boxes too:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/pci/quirks.c#n3694