[vfio-users] PCI-Stub still needed for now?

Blank Field ihatethisfield at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 14:51:26 UTC 2015

It is possible to bind needed devices to vfio-pci on the kernel command
line now.
Alex himself, afair, uses e3-1245v3, it has IGD and the ACS is almost fine
there.
Usually only processor root ports have ACS and isolation between devices,
so they get grouped into separate groups.
If there is no isolation between devices, they end up in one group: you
must patch your kernel and hope it helps or bind every device to vfio-pci.
The problem is - we don't know if the new motherboard+chipset+cpu provides
the needed isolation, it is only guaranteed on E5 series of CPUs, which are
expensive as hell.

Intel graphics don't like multiple vga arbitration participants: you can
work around this by the following methods:
1. Patch i915 driver.
2. Use OVMF and disable vga on the discrete card via vfio-pci module option.
3. Use full UEFI on the host and make i915 forget about VGA and it's
arbitration.