[vfio-users] USB >>port<< passthrough

Rich Mingin (vfio-users) vfio-users at frags.us
Tue Aug 23 19:50:03 UTC 2016

Just to chime in, yes and no. You can't pass a port, you can pass a single
device, but it's best to pass a whole USB controller. I also picked up a
USB PCIe card for vfio use, it has two USB 3.0 ports on the PCI bracket and
a header for two front mounted ports, and I have labels from my Brother
labeller to mark those as being the VM ports. I considered using an A/B
switch like Jayme described, but ended up using a piece of software called
Synergy (popular and mentioned elsewhere on the list before) to switch
targets. I turn off scroll lock, I can mouse from host to guest and back
(and even copy/paste), and when I hit scroll lock again, the mouse and
keyboard are locked to the instance where they are currently. It works very
nicely once you're used to it, it cuts down on cabling, and you can plug in
a spare keyboard/mouse to connect directly to the guest if needed.