[vfio-users] Mediated device interface + nvidia

Jike Song jike.song at intel.com
Wed Dec 21 08:59:42 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 01:30 AM, Zir Blazer wrote:

> XenGT also supported Haswell IGPs, but when the Intel devs started working in KVMGT, they only worked on Broadwell+ and left Haswell out. I was disappointed by that since I have a Haswell Processor. Maybe someone will eventually want to port XenGT Haswell support to KVMGT, as most of the code should be done...

Wait a second .. This is not true :)

KVMGT supports HSW from the very beginning when it was enabled at someday 2014,
and the HSW support never get dropped. What will not support HSW is the
*upstreamed* KVMGT, that is to say the HSW support won't be in Linus tree.

> What I don't know is how much work upstreaming KVMGT is left. They already mainlined the guest Linux vGPU Drivers many Kernels ago, and also did it with Windows, too. With this, they are getting in the host Linux Drivers for GPU Virtualization support. I THINK they had already added the required code to QEMU, too, but I'm not 100% sure about that since I can't find a clear changelog, they are just talking about IGD Passthrough, which is not the same.
> Regardless, chances are that in around 3-4 months with Linux Kernel 4.10 and next QEMU, iGVT-g is going for the masses. I have been waiting for this moment since I first heared about XenGT THREE YEARS AGO...

Thanks Alex and Kirti et al. the KVMGT in Linus tree today is already fully functional,
though the is no local display in current version, which means you have to do some
tricks to see the guest display.

--
Thanks,
Jike