[vfio-users] Win 10 VM often freezes Linux when shutting down

Jens Zimmermann zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 01:00:52 UTC 2016

Alex, yeah, I know that x8 Gen3 is not really limiting the 750 Ti, but I
plan to buy a new graphics card in some years and I am worried this will be
the bottleneck for future GPUs.
I am rebooting my host daily, so that sound issue should not be a problem.
Regarding the host drivers binding to the GPU, I am using vfio-pci. As I
understood it once the GPU has been bound to vfio-pci at boot no host
drivers can bind it. Also this connection remains until host shutdown if I
don't unbind it manually (why would I do that?). Or am I wrong here?

So for my setup I have created /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf: options vfio-pci
ids=10de:1380,10de:0fbc
And put this into the mkinitcpio.conf: MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci vfio_virqfd"
I just read your blog post again and noticed I have not put options
vfio-pci disable_vga=1 in my modprobe.d yet, would that help?

Regards,
Jens