[vfio-users] when is ROM extraction needed and how to do it correctly?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Feb 26 08:54:58 UTC 2016

In which cases are these ROMs actually needed? For example, is the ROM
needed if the passthrough video device is secondary display? Is the ROM
needed if using UEFI / OVMF instead of SeaBIOS?

I've extracted ROMs from each GPU using the method:

  find /sys/devices -name rom

to discover the devices with a ROM.  For the device I want to use, I've
used something like the following to extract the ROM (based on the paths
found by the find command):

ROM=/sys/devices/pci0000\:40/0000\:40\:03.0/0000\:42\:00.0/rom

echo 1 | tee "${ROM}"
cat "${ROM}" > my-vga-device.rom

I've also read that some devices modify a copy of their ROM data during
boot.  Does the method described above access the original ROM content
or the modified content?  If it is accessing modified content, is there
a way to get the original ROM content, either generically or in a method
specific to each vendor?