[vfio-users] What is the best host os for vfio vm gaming?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Feb 29 06:38:41 UTC 2016

On 26/02/16 09:51, Quentin Deldycke wrote:
> For my part:
>
> debian with some experimental package. When new kernel is out, i
> recompile it with some difference in config.
>
> But right now, 4.5 rc4.
>
> No problem with the host since ages. Plasma is buggy but... i think on
> every distro xD

This question and answer could be generalized for many other things
besides qemu

The answer: Using Debian stable, but selectively choosing packages from
stable-backports (jessie-backports) or experimental.

E.g.

- stable currently has kernel 3.16 and qemu 2.1 and if those work for
you, you don't need any more effort

- jessie-backports currently has kernel 4.3 and qemu 2.5 so if you need
either or both of them, you can get them from backports without any
compiling

The same logic applies to many other things too.  Whenever I do releases
of reSIProcate, I also upload them into Debian backports, so people who
want the latest can always get it easily.

Then everything else on your system can just be stable, no surprises
when you do security updates, etc.