[vfio-users] What is the best host os for vfio vm gaming?

Okky Hendriansyah okky at nostratech.com
Sun Feb 28 08:52:12 UTC 2016

On February 28, 2016 at 15:42:05, stein van broekhoven (stein at aapjeisbaas.nl(mailto:stein at aapjeisbaas.nl)) wrote:

> If anybody would attempt a build like this I would recommend Manjaro with plasma 5.5 (KDE)
> And follow this guide:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
> Only difference is:
> # mkinitcpio -p linux
> # mkinitcpio -p linux41
>
> You do NOT need the kernel patch from:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-vfio/
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Hi Stein,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the question of whether one needs the kernel patches that linux-vfio incorporates or not, really depends on one's setup and hardware.

The Intel HD arbitration patch is still needed if legacy VGA assignment (with Seabios) is still being used on Intel platforms with integrated Intel HD Graphics.

The PCIe ACS override patch is still needed if the platform does not support ACS and using other available PCIe slots for the host. Although I've seen in this list that sometimes not all ACS cases can be solved by this patch.

For instance, my previous platform was Haswell i7-4770 with a GTX 980, a USB 3.0 card, and a NIC card passed to Windows 10 guest (OVMF) while having a RAID card in the last PCIe slot for my Arch Linux host ZFS disk array. In my case, I did not need the Intel HD arbitration patch since I use the legacy-free approach with OVMF. But I still need the PCIe ACS override patch since the default IOMMU grouping did not separate my RAID card with other PCIe devices.

Other example on one of the members here, had similar platform as mine. But he only has a GPU on his slots, thus he did not need the PCIe ACS override patch.

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah