[vfio-users] Configuring VFIO

A de Beus anthony.debeus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 19:12:34 UTC 2016

See below

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 10:42 AM, Jens Zimmermann <zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks guys, now I feel a bit silly. :-P
>
> I made some more progress now, I am at the point where all the prepartions should be done, now I need to set up the VM. I have spent 100 or 200 hours on this easily already, so I am kind of tired now, but don't want to give up yet...
>
> I would like to use virt-manager to set up the VM as described in the vfio blog (finally a GUI), but I am facing three problems: 1. I want to install Win 10, but virt-manager (v1.3.1) only knows Win 8.1 and older.
> 2.
In so far as I know, you can use Win 8 or 7 or whatever.  Virt-manager just makes suggestions re memory and disk size.

> I want to use OVMF, but virt-manager says I don't have the firmware installed which is true, I only downloaded it and don't know how to install it, I am on Manjaro 15.12. (should be the same as Arch).
I believe you have to make sure the install path is specified in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf I had the same issue. Google around for "path to ovmf" I can't remember exactly what the hold up was, it's been more than a year. Sorry

> 3.
> Since my GPU does not seem to have an UEFI, I want to use the romfile option of QEMU. To do that, I need to edit the QEMU xml file, but when I configure the VM in virt-manager it wants to install the guest OS immediately, I can't save the configuration and edit it afterwards manually.
>
> So can you please tell me, is it possible to fix these problems I have with virt-manager or do I need to get rid of it and somehow try to do everything in the QEMU config file?

Yeah, who wants to type all that xml.. Just either start and abort or install and reinstall or install something else to get a template.  Or cut and paste someone else's from here to get started. Use virsh to edit the xml.

> Thanks a lot for your help! :-)

>> Try removing the other nvidia card's numbers from your vfio-pci line; i.e.
>>> options vfio-pci ids=10de:1380,10de:0fbc" only
>>

>>> On Dec 30, 2015, at 6:36 AM, Jens Zimmermann <zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> I am Linux beginner and have already asked for help here some weeks ago. Now I got my new PC and I am trying to get GPU passthrough working, but unfortunately I am already failing at the host configuration. :-/
>>>
>>> I am using Manjaro 15.12 with kernel 4.1 on a 5820k with ASRock Extreme4.
>>> I am mostly following the vfio blog and also the Arch wiki.
>>>
>>> This is what I did so far:
>>>
>>> I enabled Intel virtualisation and vt-d in my UEFI and installed Manjaro in UEFI mode.
>>> I added intel_iommu=on to the kernel command line and saved the changes. I rebooted and cat /proc/cmdline says the command was launched successfully. Using the find command the IOMMU groups were shown.
>>> Now the problem starts: I want to use VFIO to isolate the GPU.
>>>
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] [10de:1380] (rev a2)
>>> 01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0fbc] (rev a1)
>>> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] [10de:0a65] (rev a2)