[vfio-users] Configuring VFIO

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:09:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Jens Zimmermann <
zimmermannjens888 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys, now I feel a bit silly. :-P
>
> I made some more progress now, I am at the point where all the prepartions
> should be done, now I need to set up the VM. I have spent 100 or 200 hours
> on this easily already, so I am kind of tired now, but don't want to give
> up yet...
>
> I would like to use virt-manager to set up the VM as described in the vfio
> blog (finally a GUI), but I am facing three problems:
>

> 1. I want to install Win 10, but virt-manager (v1.3.1) only knows Win 8.1
> and older.

Just use the Win8.1 option.

> 2. I want to use OVMF, but virt-manager says I don't have the firmware
> installed which is true, I only downloaded it and don't know how to install
> it, I am on Manjaro 15.12. (should be the same as Arch).

I've never used Manjaro, or Arch, but after you install it you'll need to
restart libvirt (probably just reboot).  If it still doesn't find it, you
can specify the location of the binaries with the nvram option in
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.

> 3. Since my GPU does not seem to have an UEFI, I want to use the romfile
> option of QEMU. To do that, I need to edit the QEMU xml file, but when I
> configure the VM in virt-manager it wants to install the guest OS
> immediately, I can't save the configuration and edit it afterwards manually.

Per the guide on my blog, I tend to install the VM w/o the GPU assigned
anyway.  Add it after install and after you know you have some way to
interact with the guest, like installing tightvnc accessible from the host.

> So can you please tell me, is it possible to fix these problems I have
> with virt-manager or do I need to get rid of it and somehow try to do
> everything in the QEMU config file?

These are easy problems to solve, you're almost there... assuming you've
got a good UEFI romfile to use.