[vfio-users] Cannot have sound from the guest

sL1pKn07 SpinFlo sl1pkn07 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:01:04 UTC 2016

> I did the export in the bash, check it was activate with set, then launch
> virt-manager and launch the vm from there but still the same issue (exact
> same error)
>
> Regards,
>
> Feadurn
>

> On 08/01/16 16:07, sL1pKn07 SpinFlo wrote:

>>> I have everything working except the sound from the guest. I am using
>>> pulseaudio and it works out of the box for everything else except having
>>> the
>>> sound from the vm.
>>>
>>> I reinstalled pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa to be sure I have a clean
>>> install
>>>
>>> I follow the guide here
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio#QEMU
>>>
>>> When I run the command
>>>
>>> qemu-system-x86_64 -audio-help | awk '/Name: pa/' RS=
>>>
>>> I get
>>>
>>> Name: pa
>>> Theoretically supports many playback voices
>>> Theoretically supports many capture voices
>>>    QEMU_PA_SAMPLES: integer, default = 4096
>>>      buffer size in samples
>>>    QEMU_PA_SERVER: string, default = (not set)
>>>      server address
>>>    QEMU_PA_SINK: string, default = (not set)
>>>      sink device name
>>>    QEMU_PA_SOURCE: string, default = (not set)
>>>      source device name
>>>
>>> Then I add in my xml the following options
>>>
>>>    <qemu:commandline>
>>>      <qemu:env name='QEMU_AUDIO_DRV' value='pa'/>
>>>      <qemu:env name='QEMU_PA_SINK'
>>> value='alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo'/>
>>>      <qemu:env name='QEMU_PA_SOURCE' value='input'/>
>>>    </qemu:commandline>
>>>

>>> The value of QEMU_PA_SINK is obtained with the command
>>>      pacmd list-sinks | grep -e 'name:' -e 'index'
>>>

>>> In qemu.conf I uncomment the following options
>>>
>>> vnc_allow_host_audio = 1
>>> nographics_allow_host_audio = 1
>>>
>>> The only weird thing about my configuration is that I started to use
>>> libvirt
>>> as root user. I then switch to be able to use it as user. However myy vm
>>> is
>>> still on the root system but I can launch it as user without password (I
>>> didn't find the way to move the vm to the qemu user-session)
>>>
>>> When I launch the VM I don't have sound (even in the vm everything works
>>> with the AC97 installed on win10 64) and I get the following output:
>>>
>>> pulseaudio: pa_context_connect() failed
>>> pulseaudio: Reason: Connection refused
>>> pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init `pa'
>>> audio
>>> driver
>>> pulseaudio: pa_context_connect() failed
>>> pulseaudio: Reason: Connection refused
>>> pulseaudio: Failed to initialize PA contextaudio: Could not init `pa'
>>> audio
>>> driver
>>> alsa: Could not initialize ADC
>>> alsa: Failed to open `default':
>>> alsa: Reason: Device or resource busy
>>> alsa: Could not initialize ADC
>>> alsa: Failed to open `default':
> [...]

mmm then try this: (i assume you launch qemu from user root)

copy the system default.pa (/etc/pulse/default.pa) to ~/.pulse/default.pa
add this:

### KVM
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1

to the end of ~/.pulse/default.pa

then create the file client.con in /root/.pulse/client.conf with this content:

default-server = 127.0.0.1

and try again launch the VM

source: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-setup-a-gaming-virtual-machine-with-gpu-passthrough-qemu-kvm-libvirt-and-vfio.1371980/

greetings