[vfio-users] BSOD when installing drivers for R9 290

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 17:32:50 UTC 2016

On Jan 17, 2016 16:10, "Stewart Adam" <maillist at diffingo.com> wrote:

> On 2016-01-17 1:27 PM, Eric Griffith wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2016 13:15, "Stewart Adam" <maillist at diffingo.com
>> <mailto:maillist at diffingo.com>> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > On 2016-01-07 11:30 AM, Eric Griffith wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> My problem is.. The Win7 (and Win8.1) guests are perfectly fine and
stable
>>  >> until I try to install the amd crimson drivers. Then Windows BSODs,
yelling
>>  >> about an unhandled exception. If I unpack the install and install
things
>>  >> piecemeal, then I can install the HDMI audio driver, and everything
else
>>  >> okay...except for the display driver. Installing the display driver
causes
>>  >> the BSOD.
>>  >
>>  > How are you booting the guest (e.g. manually executing QEMU, or
manually
>> created libvirt XML or virt-manager+libvirt)?
>>  >

>> Virt-manager+libvirt
>>
>>  > I had a very similar symptom on my guest, in the end it was the
guest's
>> machine flag "vmport=off" that virt-manager had added that resulted in
the
>> hang/BSOD upon installation of the driver.
>>
>> I tried removing the vmport=off flag but still BSOD'ed :(
>>
>> > After attempting a driver install, does the guest boot correctly but
hang
>> when attempting to show the login screen (i.e. when the 3D driver
initializes)?

>> Sometimes yes, other times itd just do the boot as if I had never tried
>> install the driver.
>

> Sounds like the same issue I was experiencing... Have you also added a
ioh3420 device edited your configuration so that the GPU is attached to it
instead the default PCI/PCIE buses? If you're not sure, please attach the
output of "virsh dumpxml your-vm-name".

I did not do that, I just passed through the card and the card's audio. Are
there any available instructions on how to do so?

Also I appreciate the pointer, Stewart :)