[vfio-users] BSOD when installing drivers for R9 290

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Fri Jan 29 01:47:08 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-21 12:32 PM, Eric Griffith wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2016 16:10, "Stewart Adam" <maillist at diffingo.com
> <mailto:maillist at diffingo.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 2016-01-17 1:27 PM, Eric Griffith wrote:
>  >>
>  >> On Jan 17, 2016 13:15, "Stewart Adam" <maillist at diffingo.com
> <mailto:maillist at diffingo.com>
>  >> <mailto:maillist at diffingo.com <mailto:maillist at diffingo.com>>> wrote:
>  >>  >
>  >>  > On 2016-01-07 11:30 AM, Eric Griffith wrote:
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> My problem is.. The Win7 (and Win8.1) guests are perfectly fine and
> stable
>  >>  >> until I try to install the amd crimson drivers. Then Windows BSODs,
> yelling
>  >>  >> about an unhandled exception. If I unpack the install and install things
>  >>  >> piecemeal, then I can install the HDMI audio driver, and everything else
>  >>  >> okay...except for the display driver. Installing the display driver
> causes
>  >>  >> the BSOD.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > How are you booting the guest (e.g. manually executing QEMU, or manually
>  >> created libvirt XML or virt-manager+libvirt)?
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> Virt-manager+libvirt
>  >>
>  >>  > I had a very similar symptom on my guest, in the end it was the guest's
>  >> machine flag "vmport=off" that virt-manager had added that resulted in the
>  >> hang/BSOD upon installation of the driver.
>  >>
>  >> I tried removing the vmport=off flag but still BSOD'ed :(
>  >>
>  >> > After attempting a driver install, does the guest boot correctly but hang
>  >> when attempting to show the login screen (i.e. when the 3D driver
> initializes)?
>  >>
>  >> Sometimes yes, other times itd just do the boot as if I had never tried to
>  >> install the driver.
>  >
>  >
>  > Sounds like the same issue I was experiencing... Have you also added a
> ioh3420 device edited your configuration so that the GPU is attached to it
> instead the default PCI/PCIE buses? If you're not sure, please attach the
> output of "virsh dumpxml your-vm-name".
>
> I did not do that, I just passed through the card and the card's audio. Are
> there any available instructions on how to do so?
>
> Also I appreciate the pointer, Stewart :)
Sorry for the delay - here are those instructions:

You'll want to execute 'virsh edit domname' as root to edit your domain's
config file, and then add this XML after the 'pci-bridge' controller block:

     <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
       <model name='ioh3420'/>
       <target chassis='1' port='0x1'/>
       <alias name='pci.3'/>
       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1c'
function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
     </controller>

Then scroll down to the <hostdev> block for your GPU, and alter it to use
the controller (bus 3) we just created:

     <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
       <driver name='vfio'/>
       <source>
         <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
       </source>
       <alias name='hostdev0'/>
       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00'
function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
     </hostdev>

Regards,
Stewart