[vfio-users] CPU Provisioning Question.

Jonathan Scruggs j.scruggs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:09:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have a 6 core Haswell Processor with Hyper threading. What if I passed in
all 6 cores with the hyper thread cores to the guest. When I am doing stuff
on the guest I am not running anything on the host. Would I need to reverse
pin the cores, so Core 0 on the host would be core 15 on the guest, so in
theory Core 0 would have more host processes on it?

My thinking is that the CPU scheduler on the host would allocate the
threads in an efficient manner.

However, I want to add a second windows guest for my wife and both windows
used at the same time for gaming, not the latest games. Would both guests
with all 12 cores passed through be provisioned right be the scheduler of
the host? Or would I run into serious trouble?

Thanks,
Jon