[vfio-users] Windows 7 with OVMF?

Thomas Lindroth thomas.lindroth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:43:42 UTC 2016

I figured out the problem. After installing the machine I left the win 7
install cd attached to the vm. The machine would always boot from the cd
and display a message like "press any key to boot from cd". Without
pressing any key it would chainload the real operating system.

That chainloading only worked if the qxl device was attached. I don't
know why but it doesn't really matter.

If someone else is trying to install win 7 with OVMF here are the
correct steps.
1. Add both the real gpu and qxl
2. Install windows using the virtual qxl display
3. Install graphic drivers
4. Remove both qxl and the install cd