[vfio-users] No reset on GT730

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 14:16:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Gerhard de Clercq <
gerharddeclercq at outlook.com> wrote:

> I actually used that tutorial to set it up and I can't find anything that
> I might have missed. I have unfortunately returned the card by now while I
> still had time so I can't test it further. It would be really nice if we
> could somehow force vfio to do a reset so that we would know if it is even
> possible for a card. Is there any cheap (perferably AMD) card that I can
> get which is known to downright work properly with vfio reset?

If you're looking for cheap and very low-end, try an HD8570.  I generally
don't recommend AMD due to the myriad of issues though, however mine works
great. I would still suspect there's really no reset problem on a GT730 and
the issue had something to do with the configuration.  vfio is a generic
userspace driver, so it's not too difficult to write code that just does
enough initialization to do a bus reset, see for example this crufty unit
test https://github.com/awilliam/tests/blob/master/vfio-pci-hot-reset.c