[vfio-users] Windows 7 with OVMF?

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 15:14:55 UTC 2016

On 07/07/16 13:43, Thomas Lindroth wrote:
> I figured out the problem. After installing the machine I left the win 7
> install cd attached to the vm. The machine would always boot from the cd
> and display a message like "press any key to boot from cd". Without
> pressing any key it would chainload the real operating system.
>
> That chainloading only worked if the qxl device was attached. I don't
> know why but it doesn't really matter.
>
> If someone else is trying to install win 7 with OVMF here are the
> correct steps.
> 1. Add both the real gpu and qxl
> 2. Install windows using the virtual qxl display
> 3. Install graphic drivers
> 4. Remove both qxl and the install cd

Rather than messing with ISO attachment / detachment, I tend to
recommend setting up a good boot order statically that allows you to
forget about it right after. If you don't use secure boot, I recommend

- <boot order='1'/> -- for the system disk
- <boot order='2'/> -- for the installer ISO

When you boot the VM first (for installation), the system disk will be
empty, hence skipped. The installer ISO will be booted. After
installation (which includes "midway through the installation"), the
system disk becomes bootable, and the installer ISO should never be reached.

Laszlo