[vfio-users] GPU Pass-through for Linux guest

Blank Field ihatethisfield at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:01:09 UTC 2016

On May 2, 2016 12:53 AM, "Zir Blazer" <zir_blazer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, doing VGA Passthrough in Linux presented different
issues that those that you're used to in Windows. The major difference was
that Windows and the Video Card Drivers doesn't mind if you do something
like attaching a 2014 PCI Express Video Card directly to the 1996 440FX PCI
Host Bridge, a configuration that is physically impossible, but that in
virtualized enviroments works in a miracleously way simply because PCI and
PCIe are compatible at the protocol level.

I can confirm that, i remember a slide from AW's presentation where it is
said that windows doesn't care about topology, but linux does.
It was one of the reasons why the Q35 machine could be desired.

Also, it is retarded, but possible to attach ioh3402s to 440FX. On the
other side, with Q35 you get better USB and AHCI(sata) controllers.
Which you don't care about because of virtio-scsi existence.