[vfio-users] GPU Pass-through for Linux guest

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Sun May 1 23:41:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:01 AM, Blank Field <ihatethisfield at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 2, 2016 12:53 AM, "Zir Blazer" <zir_blazer at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I recall correctly, doing VGA Passthrough in Linux presented
> different issues that those that you're used to in Windows. The major
> difference was that Windows and the Video Card Drivers doesn't mind if you
> do something like attaching a 2014 PCI Express Video Card directly to the
> 1996 440FX PCI Host Bridge, a configuration that is physically impossible,
> but that in virtualized enviroments works in a miracleously way simply
> because PCI and PCIe are compatible at the protocol level.
>
> I can confirm that, i remember a slide from AW's presentation where it is
> said that windows doesn't care about topology, but linux does.
> It was one of the reasons why the Q35 machine could be desired.
>
> Also, it is retarded, but possible to attach ioh3402s to 440FX. On the
> other side, with Q35 you get better USB and AHCI(sata) controllers.
> Which you don't care about because of virtio-scsi existence.

Hmm, I have tried passing through GPU to SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3 the
same way I did on Windows 10, on plain i440FX and had no issues. Even the
installation process of the guest ran directly on my real monitor. Here's
the exact script that I use at that time [1].

[1] http://pastebin.com/nvihTuAz

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah