[vfio-users] cannot boot windows guest after update

thibaut noah thibaut.noah at gmail.com
Thu May 5 21:09:35 UTC 2016

So !
Update on this, i tried to install drivers from windows (since i can boot
in native) but without any luck, i used pnputil to install the .inf file
and all, it is install but that did nothing (what the hell?).

After a while i decided to try what appears to be THE solution, which is
putting my disk as ide target instead of virtio and tadaaaa, getting
devices ready and i can boot windows again.

So the issue is indeed virtio drivers which for some reason are not there
anymore...
What is truly insane is that if i don't have any virtio drivers i shouldn't
have network and all right? well, everything is working right of the box,
is it suppose to be?

Afterwards i tried using this solution

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#Change_Existing_Windows_VM_to_use_virtio

generating a fake qcwo2 file, adding it to the vm with qemu arg command
line (since i use libvirt) and passing drivers with the same method (since
apparently libvirt cdrom didn't work).
I'm suppose to see my image as a drive but i don't see anything, weird
since the iso is there. the syntax i used is this :
<qemu:arg value='-drive'/> <qemu:arg value='file=/home/zipeldiablo/
fake.qcwo2'/>

I assume that once i figure this out i can install virtio drivers normally
and reboot my vm with proper bus.
Speaking of target bus, is there a difference in I/O performance between
ide and virtio for a ssd?