[vfio-users] [FEEDBACK NEEDED] Additionnal tips to include in the Arch wiki article

Nicolas Roy-Renaud nicolas.roy-renaud.1 at ens.etsmtl.ca
Mon May 9 01:56:34 UTC 2016

Hello everyone.

I've spent the last month or so reworking the pci passthrough article on
Arch Wiki
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF>, and I'm
getting to the point where I'm starting to be pretty satisfied with it
personally. While there are still a few things I need to adress,
however, I'd like to get some feedback on the current article, as well
as possibly some topics that could be worth elaborating. Since I'm sure
most of those who are reading the mailing list have had trouble setting
up their passthrough at one point or another, I'm sure you all have some
issue you've managed to solve that you would like to share with others,
so I'll be collecting those and try to see if it makes sense to include
them in there.

Here's a few of the common gotchas I'm already planning to add in the
near future :

  * Using identical GPUs on the guest and host machines (Garland Key had
    that issue a while ago, and this requires some binding scripts)
  * Passing through a device that cannot reset properly (I've had that
    problem with my soundcard and still need to figure out a solution)
  * Actually go into details about what the ACS override patch does and
    how to configure it
  * MSI interrupts for the GPU soundcards

Also, I have a few questions for AW specifically, since he mentions a
few interesting in his blog that could't find all that much info on and
could use some clarification, namely :

  * What impact do hugepages have on host and guest performance?
  * How exacly does host-passthrough affect performance?
  * Is there an easy way to test if a device can reset properly without
    a host reboot or not? I know a few pci devices have a /reset node to
    indicate this, but recent issues with my integrated soundcard and
    the reocurring complaints about AMD cards are making me consider
    adding a section about that in the article.

- Nicolas