[vfio-users] Help Patching Qemu for Vendor

Okky Hendriansyah okky.htf at gmail.com
Thu May 12 23:42:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:01 AM, Spam House <kthxplzdie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Explicit huge pages and some fine tuning of the cpu setup (pinning) did
> indeed seem to be the ticket. I am having trouble tracking down a good set
> of steps to follow for setting 1000 Hz clock resolution and Voluntary
> Preemptible Kernel.
>
> Thanks again for all your help!

Hi Spam,

Glad it worked for you. For recompiling the kernel, you need to install ABS
[1] and fetch the PKGBUILD for the linux or linux-lts package. Edit the
PKGBUILD to uncomment the "make xconfig" line and save it. In linux or
linux-lts directory, execute "makepkg -s", which after a while it will open
up a kernel configuration. Go to the Processor section and find the 1000 HZ
resolution clock and the Voluntary Preemption Model. Save and quit. The
kernel compilation will progress. Took about 10-12 minutes, but it depends
on your hardware. If the kernel compilation succeeds, it will generate 3
Arch Linux packages in that directory: linux, linux-docs, and linux-headers
(or linux-lts, linux-lts-docs, and linux-lts-headers). Install the new
kernel by issuing "sudo pacman -U linux-*.pkg.tar.xz". Update GRUB (if
needed), reboot.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

Best regards,
Okky Hendriansyah