[vfio-users] BSOD occuring with 1 game in VM

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue May 10 22:54:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Abdulla Bubshait <darkstego at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a pretty stable VFIO setup running for a while, but I am stuck with
> this
> odd problem where 1 game (heroes of the storm) keeps giving me a BSOD
> whenever I try to run it in the VM under Windows 10.
>
>  All other games are running fine. If I install Windows 8 in the VM the
> game runs fine.
>  If I boot the machine into the Windows 10 HDD directly the game runs
> fine.
> This crash occurs with both Nvidia GTX 770 and AMD Fury X.
> It only crashes when in VM and Windows 10.
>
> The BSOD is some form of exception. Examples that occur
> SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
> KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
> SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
> The dump files seem to suggest a windows8 driver issue,
> but I can't pinpoint any faulty driver.
>
> I am running netrunner (manjaro) kernel 4.4.9, qemu 2.5.1.
>
> My config is:
> http://pastebin.com/W6cPyMEB
>
> Sample BSOD dumps:
> http://pastebin.com/bgh2uEhf
> http://pastebin.com/SLPTVUwn
> http://pastebin.com/zdjTzKuV
> http://pastebin.com/8Lt5VfLg
>
> Welcome any ideas to fix this problem. Thanks,

Do you have the following set in a modprobe.d conf file?

options kvm ignore_msrs=1

Windows BSODs are often the result of calling an unsupported MSR and not
handling the exception.  There's some risk to this option because zero
isn't guaranteed to be a valid return for an unknown MSR, but it seems to
solve a lot of problems.  YMMV.