[vfio-users] Support for Passthrough

Dawid Osuchowski tulphoon at openmailbox.org
Sat Nov 19 11:17:25 UTC 2016

It seems like you might have the same problem i have had with Error 43.
For using passthrough with OVMF, your GPU needs to have a UEFI
compatible ROM, either on the card itself or supplied to the VM using:

<rom bar='on' file='/opt/GTX650.rom'/>

It should be used like this

<devices>
  <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
    <source>
      <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </source>
    <boot order='1'/>
    <rom bar='on' file='/opt/GTX650.rom'/>
  </hostdev>
</devices>

You need to check whether your ROM supports UEFI or not. Look up this
blog post by Alex Williamson on how to do that
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/08/does-my-graphics-card-rom-support-efi.html,
but instead of using his utility (which for me said that the rom is UEFI
compatible, while it was not) use:

EfiRom -d

It comes with 'edk2' package in Fedora.

If you cannot extract the ROM file from your card (it was the same for
me) then go into google and search for something like "(vendor e.g. MSI)
GTX 650 TI BOOST uefi rom". If you cannot find anything with that, then
go to a forum of the vendor of your card and ask them to supply it to you.