[vfio-users] VM loses mouse

Patrick O'Callaghan poc at usb.ve
Sun Apr 30 13:07:38 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-30 at 10:48 +0100, Dan Oram wrote:
> On 25/04/17 15:50, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2017-04-25 at 14:09 +0200, Javier Celaya wrote:
> > > Another option is to use input-linux:
> > > https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2016/04/linux-evdev-input-support-in-qemu-2-6/
> > > I'm not sure how to use it with libvirt, though, I always use qemu from the
> > > command line.
> > >
> > > However, take into account that it does not work reliably until qemu
> > > 2.9.0-rc3 (I sent a patch to fix it that was included upstream on March
> > > this year)
> > >

> > I have 2.7 so I'll keep an eye on this, thanks.
> >
> > poc

> I've used it reliably since 2.7 though until the recent patch I had to
> add a virtio input device for keyboard and mouse in addition to the
> built in PS/2 device. Looking at the patch I guess that worked because
> virtio has much better buffering. I might keep it though as it's more
> likely to be immune to windows update and I swear that is out to get me.
>
> Definitely the approach to recommend. No ctrl-alt-backspace getting
> redirected to your host X server or losing focus on the host to a dialog
> and so losing input. Beyond essential if you've got a single monitor or
> are using fullscreen applications such as games where the mouse needs
> it's own scale / boundary constraints.

Since virt-manager doesn't support evdev as an option, I need to run
this from the Shell, so as a first step I simply captured the current
qemu-kvm command line from /var/log. However it won't run directly
(this is with no modification):

qemu-system-x86_64: -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-NewWin10/master-key.aes: Unable to read /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-
NewWin10/master-key.aes: Failed to open file '/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-NewWin10/master-key.aes': No such file or directory

No doubt the reason is blindingly obvious to those who have done this
before, but not to me. Clearly the above file doesn't exist, but does
when I use virt-manager, so what am I missing?

poc