[vfio-users] edk2.git-ovmf-x64 from kraxel.org/repos doesn't boot?

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 01:02:47 UTC 2017

On 02/22/17 08:17, Doug Applegate wrote:
> I've never had problems booting using ovmf firmware from the rpm repo
> https://www.kraxel.org/repos/ but today I updated (fedora 25) and
> could no longer boot (black screen, no Tiano Core logo)

Commit dc4c770763d0 ("BaseTools: add error check for Macro usage in the
INF file", 2017-02-20) broke the build tools in edk2, and they now
mis-build OVMF. I just ran into the same a few minutes ago (after
pulling master so I could rebase and send out a new series). I found the
culprit with bisection.

> In my libvirt configuration I use:
>  <loader readonly='yes'
> type='pflash'>/usr/share/edk2.git/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
>
> which I'm assuming is the latest build from the repo,

Yep, looks good.

> however I
> switched it to this:
> <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
>
> And I can boot again.

You have this other file from... wherever, whenever. :) It is likely
very old and doesn't suffer from this regression.

> Can someone explain to me what the difference between the two files
> are? Should I not be running the latest builds from
> www.kraxel.org/repos/jenkins/edk2/ or is the other one preferred?

The first one (from Gerd) is the right one (even though it broke now).
The other one -- I have no clue. Sticking with Gerd's builds is a sane
idea, although, if you update frequently, any fresh upstream regressions
will hit you immediately, because Gerd's builds track upstream edk2 very
closely.

Anyway I reported the issue on edk2-devel, so in a few days hopefully
it'll be fixed.

Laszlo