[vfio-users] VM Boot Hang After Unclean Shutdown w/ ASMedia ASM1042A USB 3.0 PCI-e

Martin Schrodt martin at schrodt.org
Sat Jan 14 10:17:54 UTC 2017

Hi Adam,

I just want to add myself to the list. In my case, I have a single
ASMedia 1142 passed through:

04:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host
Controller

In my case, there's no ACS override, but I still experience the exact
same problem. As long as the VM is shut down gracefully, I can boot the
VM again, in case of crash or hard reset it won't boot anymore until
host restart.

I spent some time ago to somehow remove/reset/whatnot the controller in
such a case - to no avail.

I remember Alex Williamson being shocked, *shocked* I say, about ASMedia
devices not behaving. The case was that when my controller was not
passed through, but used by the host, it would prevent the system to
properly suspend to RAM.

I'd be very interested in knowing a way to archieve proper reset of the
controller, but I fear there simply is none.

Martin