[vfio-users] VM Boot Hang After Unclean Shutdown w/ ASMedia ASM1042A USB 3.0 PCI-e

Adam Zegelin adam at zegelin.com
Sat Jan 14 13:31:13 UTC 2017

Martin,

Thanks for your mail and "me too" on this issue.

This perhaps sounds like a wider issue with ASMedia USB 3.X
controllers not adhering to spec.
Hopefully the issues can either be worked around in software, or
ASMedia is kind enough to offer a firmware update
(assuming that its a firmware level issue).

My questions for the rest of the list/wider community are:

How does an OS usually "de-init" an XHCI controller?
(i.e, What is so special about a graceful vs. ungraceful shutdown that
causes the controller to fail on the next boot?)
Is this de-init manufacturer/driver specific?
Is there a reason (apart from "not implemented yet") that
qemu/kvm/<whatever> couldn't do the same on guest termination?

Since this issue is reproducible -- `killall qemu` + reboot vm -- is
there a way that I can offer my assistance to those
who have more intricate knowledge of how all the moving parts fit
together? I would like to help.

I'm a software developer by day but my understanding of
device/firmware/bootloader/VM level stuff is very hand-wavy/high-level
at best.

- Adam