[vfio-users] Code 43 when using Quadro K420 on another system.

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:22:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Eddie Yen <missile0407 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to do passthrough on another machine, since I can do the same
> thing on the original, I think it would be easy, but I was wrong.
>
> Here's the info about this server.
>
> CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2620 v2 x 2
> OS: Ubuntu 16.04 Server (Kernel ver: 4.4.0)
> QEMU verison: 2.5.0 (Debian 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.14)
> Libvirt version: 1.3.1
>
> Only the different things is this server included BMC VGA, and I install
> Xfce virtual GUI + VNC.
>
> Below is what I'm setting on Ubuntu:
>
> 1. Blacklist the nouveau or other drivers about Nvidia
> Included nouveau, vga16fb, rivafb, nvidiafb, rivatv.
>
> 2. Add VFIO drivers into init list when boot .
> # cat /etc/modules
> vfio
> vfio_pci
> vfio_iommu_type1
> vfio_virqfd
>
> 3. Add K420 PID & VID and open IOMMU function into GRUB
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="intel_iommu=on vfio-pci.ids=10de:0ff3,10de:
> 0e1b"
>
> 4. Build VM and install Windows Server 2012 R2
>
> 5. Shutdown VM, add kvm=off, delete everything about Hyper-V function, and
> passthrough K420 after installation.
>

> But when I mount K420 into VM, VFIO shows error on kernel log.
> vfio-pci 0000:06:00.0: BAR 3: can't reserve [mem 0xd0000000-0xd1ffffff
> 64bit pref]
>
> And I checked /proc/iomem, it shows
>
> 80000000-dfffffff : PCI Bus 0000:00
>   80000000-8fffffff : PCI MMCONFIG 0000 [bus 00-ff]
>     80000000-8fffffff : reserved
>   c0000000-d1ffffff : PCI Bus 0000:06
>     c0000000-cfffffff : 0000:06:00.0
>     d0000000-d1ffffff : 0000:06:00.0
>       d1000000-d112ffff : vesafb
>

> VM can boot, but show Code 43 after installed driver.
>
> I don't know why it occupied by vesafb, since this server already have BMC
> chip.
>

> Here's the VM profile:
>
> https://pastebin.com/PXuT4Vqg
>

> Any ideas?

vesafb is claiming resources on the card, clearly you need to prevent that
or release it from that driver.  This is why primary graphics assignment is
not recommended.  You'll want to do something like video=vesafb:off to
block it and then see what tries to claim it next and block that.  Also
note that while Quadro K2000 and better better cards are actually supported
by NVIDIA (on certain distros at least), Quadros below that are not and may
or may not work as well as equivalent GeForce cards.  Good luck,

Alex