[vfio-users] issues about windows GPU drivers update after passthrough

trigger-happy triggerhappyelite at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:28:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:44 PM, fulaiyang <fulaiyang at 163.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>     Thank you for your advise. I use the seabios to boot the guest and what
> I do is GPU passthrough.
> It may be different from yours. Do you have any other ways?

Assuming that seabios, qemu and the linux kernel weren't updated between the
time your VM was working and the time it had problems, then the most likely
culprit is as you said, windows deciding to update the drivers.

What you can do is to remove the GPU passthrough for now and add a virtual
graphics device (I suggest QXL) by adding '-vga qxl' to the qemu command line
and removing the '-nographic' command line option.

>From there, try updating windows completely, reboot if necessary and then
shut down the VM once everything is done.

Afterwards, add the GPU passthrough again while retaining the '-vga qxl' option.
This should hopefully let windows display itself in the SDL window while showing
nothing through the GPU output.

If everything boots up fine, reinstall/update your GPU drivers. If
everything goes
well, you should see something on the display connected to your GPU. If nothing
happens or the system hangs, then we'll have to try some other method.