[vfio-users] Ryzen Primary GPU passthrough success and woes

Graham Neville grahamneville at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 22:02:12 UTC 2017

I've managed to get pci-e passthough working on a gigabyte gaming 3 matx MB
and Ryzen 1700, no ACS patch, using only 1 GPU - AMD r9 290. However I'm
facing a problem with the whole KVM setup and not sure what it's related
to. For the Windows10 guest with the GPU passed through it crashes (guest
only, host is fine) whenever I try anything graphics intensive, for example
running Witcher3. Normal desktop is fine.
Also my Linux guests are acting odd when I try to SSH to them, I notice
that the SSH terminals just stop working randomly. And then there's the
issue with very slow network throughout to both VMs. I have no idea what's
going on. It used to work fine with my Intel setup. There's no logs in
dmesg to show a problem either.

I'm going to try Seabios instead of OVMF to see if I can stop the crashing.

Any one having similar issues or anyone can advise?