[vfio-users] Hotplug problem

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Mon Nov 6 05:05:34 UTC 2017

> Then while the VM is running it doesn't show:
>
>      04:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
>              !!! Unknown header type 7f
>              Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
>
> However after
> shutting down the VM I then get:
>
>      04:00.0 USB controller: Fresco Logic FL1100 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev ff) (prog-if ff)
>              !!! Unknown header type 7f
>
> and have to reboot the host to get it back. I haven't even got to try
> the MSI thing yet because sometimes the VM won't even start with it
> passed through after this happens, so perhaps the card itself needs
> some other kind of reset. I confess ignorance on this.
>
> I'll keep hammering at it ...
>
> poc

Your issue is reminiscent of this post:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2016-June/msg00102.html

The workaround suggested by Alex further on in that thread solved the
problem for him. For me, my FL1100-based Sonnet Allegro Pro works fine
on an Ubuntu 17.04 install (kernel 4.10), so I believe that change made
it upstream at some point.

Steve