[vfio-users] Hotplug problem

Bronek Kozicki brok at spamcop.net
Mon Nov 6 08:51:30 UTC 2017

I am passing through one of StarTech USB 3.0 cards, to my Windows 10 VM
and it is working nicely. I am not entirely sure which StartTech model I
have, but it is a Renesas 1912:0014 (most likely this one
https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-PCIe-SuperSpeed-USB-3-Controller-Card~PEXUSB3S4V
 - note, a large proportion of StarTech cards have dreaded ASMedia chip,
must avoid these!). Like other vfio passed-through devices, it has its
own IOMMU group and is entirely owned by a VM.

Here is how this card looks like in the hypervisor:
# lspci -v -s 02:00.0
02:00.0 USB controller: Renesas Technology Corp. uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host
Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 150, NUMA node 0
        Memory at cf700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Capabilities: [70] MSI: Enable- Count=1/8 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=8 Masked-
        Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [150] Latency Tolerance Reporting
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci

My modprobe.d configuration (10de:... is for GPU passthrough of nvidia
Quadro M5000):
$ cat vfio.conf
options vfio-pci ids=1912:0014,10de:13f0,10de:0fbb
options vfio-pci disable_vga=1
$ cat kvm.conf
options kvm ignore_msrs=1

Since I'm running ArchLinux, my initramfs is built by mkinitcpio, which
is configured to pre-load following modules:
MODULES="vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci vfio_virqfd vhost_net bridge
mpt2sas nvme"

This setup has been working for me for the past 2 years or so, with all
kernels I tried (currently on 4.13). I am using one port of this card
for monitor-builtin USB3 hub where few devices are attached (e.g.
audioengine D1 DAC, Wacom tablet, Microsoft HD webcam etc.) , another
port is used for USB3 card reader (there are 2 more unused ports)

B.

--
  Bronek Kozicki
  brok at spamcop.net