[vfio-users] What host driver should be used when unbind vga device from vfio-pci driver?

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 15:39:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:26:06 +0800
Acewind <acewind at gmail.com> wrote:

> When unbind a intel igd device from vfio-pci and want to bind it again
> to the normal host driver, what host driver should be used when i915
> is blacklisted?

The "normal" host driver would be i915, you'd get reduced performance
and functionality from anything else and non-pci drivers might be even
worse than i915 about dynamic binding.  You don't need to blacklist
i915 to be able to unbind it for vfio use, but as I recall, i915
doesn't always like to re-bind to the device so you might need to file
some upstream bugs against i915 to get those fixed.  Thanks,

Alex