[vfio-users] Anything special to consider before buying (January 2018, thinking Kaby lake)?

Jonas Camillus Jeppesen jonascj at sdu.dk
Wed Jan 3 15:46:31 UTC 2018

Dear everyone,

Anything special to consider before buying hardware in January 2018?

My aim is to run my Linux workstation and a single Windows 10 gaming VM
with a dedicated GPU assigned via VFIO. The only piece of hardware which
is dead certain to be in the build is my newly purchased ASUS Strix GTX1070.

It is an mini-itx build, in my A4-SFX v1 case, so I'm forced to choose a
platform with an build-in GPU since since I can only fit a single
dedicated graphics card.

Does that mean Intel Kaby Lake these days? Anything special to note
about the various 100- and 200-series chipsets?

Maybe I should look for a motherboard with at least two USB controllers
so one can be assigned to the VM, although I plan on using only a single
set of mouse/keyboard (I have seen people assign usb devices or
controllers on the fly, i.e. effectively switching mouse/keyboard
between guest/host).

Thank you for your input.

/ Jonas