[vfio-users] (good) working GPU for passthrough?

Paige Thompson erratic at yourstruly.sx
Fri Jan 18 16:02:47 UTC 2019

Hey there,

I second Bronek with what he said about the correct pcie configuration, you will have to make some edits in virsh edit as well (virt-manager is limited in what you can do with the pcie bus.) As far as what type of card it really shouldn't matter, in theory but depending on the guest OS and drivers your bus configuration may need to resemble something that he driver will work with. I have a copy pasta that covers a lot of work I did to troubleshoot such a problem, there's also a libvirt xml in this page for reference: https://gitlab.com/snippets/1788426

However if I could suggest something, I really want to find a cheap mxm3 (laptop graphics) to pcie adapter card that is single slot like the one Eurocom makes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MXM3-to-PCIe-NVidia-Riser-Card-for-MXM-3-0b-3-1b-NVIDIA-GPUs-for-desktop-PCs-/132503008933

 if like me you desire something that doesn't need to use a whole two io slots and blocks off a usable pcie slot I'd look into that or something like it for my next card(s). Unfortunately Eurocom knows they have a niche market and the cost is indicative of it. $400 for a breakout / conversion adapter seems way to steep for anybody let alone me. I'm also not sure whether or not they make IO shields for them, which sucks if not. Everything about the Eurocom cards looks pretty decent, lots of breakouts and there are heatsink / fans. Although the mini dp headers bother me because they don't look like they're being held on by anything except the solder leads and I'd hate to have something like that break off my card.

I really like the idea and I don't mind too much because most of the graphics adapters you can get for laptops now are more than good enough, presumably you can make use of every single x16 slot in your system with cards like that as well.