[vfio-users] (good) working GPU for passthrough?

Georgios Amanakis gamanakis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:41:30 UTC 2019

I am using an Asus DUAL-GTX1060-O6G which doesn't suffer from the reset
bug. With the usual workarounds, I have never suffered Error 43 (using
either the official NVIDIA driver in Windows, or Asus own driver). I
believe the necessity of the ACS patch depends on the motherboard and the
underlying IOMMU groups. I am using a workstation X9SRA where every PCI-e
slot sits alone in its IOMMU group (admittedly old, based on chipset C602,
X79 era) and never had any problems passing through the aforementioned GTX
1060, or the MSI GT 710 2GD3H LP (low-end).

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 8:40 AM Bronek Kozicki <brok at spamcop.net wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2019, at 10:39 PM, Kash Pande wrote:
> > On 2019-01-17 2:03 p.m., Tobias Geiger wrote:
> > > I tried a VEGA 64 - i was able to live with the ACS patch needed here
> > > (Z170 Chipset... not needed with the old HD7800, but whatever...) -
> > > but i couldn't stand the reset/FLR/Bug which forces you at least to
> > > suspend/resume the host when you want to reboot only the guest...
> >

> > AIUI, this does not happen using the Q35 machine type with proper PCIe
> > root complex heirarchy.
> >

> I do not have great experience with "Q35 machine type with proper PCIe
root complex hierarchy". Selection of the chipset type Q35 in the
virt-manager upon creation does not seem to work with UEFI type of firmware
(as recommended for vfio passthroug). Or perhaps I should have downloaded a
more recent Tianocore UEFI firmware for my virtual machines?