[vfio-users] Question about integrated GPU passthrough and initialization

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Mon Jun 3 22:51:11 UTC 2019

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 14:38:49 -0700
Micah Morton <mortonm at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Could you remind me whether there is a minimum recommended kernel
> version to be running in the VM guest when doing GPU passthrough?
>
> I'm fine running 4.14 in the host, but was looking to see if I could
> run 4.4 in the guest and couldn't remember if it is advised to use a
> newer kernel in the guest or if there is any reason to have the guest
> kernel match the host kernel version?

I don't recall any specific guest version dependency.  I've got an old
4.9 guest around and that's about the only direct IGD assignment VM I
test on a semi-regular basis.  I do keep that host relatively updated,
so it's currently a 5.0/4.9 combination.  No reason to keep them in sync
that I know of.  Thanks,

Alex