[vfio-users] Question about integrated GPU passthrough and initialization

Micah Morton mortonm at chromium.org
Tue Jun 4 20:44:19 UTC 2019

Ok thanks, I figured out my issue. Turns out SeaBIOS in the VM tries
to map from 0x100000-0x8000000 as "System RAM" (which holds the kernel
code/data/bss sections). On my device the sbios usually only maps
0x100000-0x7a988fff for this purpose. So when the i915 driver tries to
reserve 0x7c000000-0x7fffffff for the "Graphics Stolen Memory" this
normally succeeds on my device but fails in the VM since the kernel
sees something already mapping this area of memory. This can be fixed
by patching SeaBIOS to only reserve up through 0x7bffffff for the
"System RAM" for the kernel. Somehow the 4.14 kernel is smart enough
to remap 0x7c000000-0x7fffffff for the Graphics Stolen Memory even if
it has been claimed by SeaBIOS for System RAM (so this problem doesn't
show up when running 4.14 in the VM), but 4.4 is not. I'm trying to
get the 4.4 kernel working in the VM since I think those drivers have
been more thoroughly tested for my hardware.