[vfio-users] new video card. vm wont boot

Roger Lawhorn rll at twc.com
Thu May 28 15:58:56 UTC 2020

I upgraded from a radeon duo pro 8gb hbm to a radeon rx 5500.

Neither the win10 vm nor the win7 vm will boot with this card installed.
The card is owned by vfio-pci on boot.
The script didnt need any changes as it shows up at the same hardware
address as the last card.

Very frustrated.

This card is so new it is listed as not supported till kernel 5.4.
I am on kernel 5.3 and cannot get 5.4 to work.
But that is for just trying to get linux to use it.

Windows should just boot in vga mode and then look for a windows update.

I did try removing -vga none to force qemu to emulate a vga driver long
enough to boot.
No dice. qemu wont pull up the normal vga window on the linux side.

Something has got to give.