[virt-tools-list] Problem after renaming Virtual Machine

Assis Guerreiro assis.guerreiro at fccn.pt
Tue Aug 25 18:26:01 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am in charge of managing a XEN Infraestructure with less than 10
Virtual Machines and I wonder if you could help on the subject.
My Host server OS is Redhat Linux Server 5.2

[root at server xen]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Tikanga)

I was renaming some of the VM's with the folowing process:
1) rename the config file to the new name in /etc/xen/;
       mv /etc/xen/vm_old_name  /etc/xen/vm_new_name

2) change the old name for the new one inside the conf. file of the VM.
        name = "vm_new_name"

Then I restart virt-manager and the name is changed, without rebooting
the VM.

Everything works fine, but in some cases something is wrong.
After renaming a VM and restarting the virt-manager the VM entry that
was renamed on the virt-manager is displaying with alternative
configurarion between the new name and the old named as the state of the
VM (Running/Shutoff).

I tried with diferent names, and rebooting the VM, and... but the
solution that I know is to put the old name back on the VM.

Can you help me solving this situation?
Or if this is not the right place to put the question, could you tell
what can I do?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Assis Guerreiro