[virt-tools-list] virt-manager / QEMU problem connecting to graphical console

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 16:03:59 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2009 03:57 PM, Andy Aelbrecht wrote:

>> >  What is the remote host OS (are you doing F12 -> F12 and Ubuntu ->
>>
>> >  Ubuntu?) Are you using upstream virt-manager releases or distro
>>
>> >  virt-manager releases?
>>

>> >  Are all the VMs mentioned above on the remote host (none local)?
>>

>> >  Thanks,
>>
>> >  Cole
>>

>> The remote host OS is Debian Lenny (volatile), kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64)
>>
>> The OSs on which I tried all the virt-manager versions are Ubuntu (latest) and
>> Fedora Core 12.
>>
>> I've used both the packaged versions (.deb & rpm) and I tried with version 0.8.1
>> from source.
>>
>> Latest one I tried was 0.8.2 under Fedora Core 12 from testing-unstable.
>>

>> All the VMs mentioned are indeed on a remote host, I have no local VMs.
>>

>> Andy

This likely has to do with 'nc' version incompatibilities. virt-manager
and libvirt use the 'nc' utility to stream connection and VNC data over
ssh. Fedora and debian have different default 'nc' utilities with
different options: upstream virt-manager works with red hat based
distros, but debian packages should be appropriately patched to work
with remote debian hosts.

If a debian virt-manager package still hangs when talking to a remote
debian host, please file a bug with debian. Otherwise this is a known
issue. I've been thinking about trying to fix this with some shell
trickery over SSH so that upstream would just work with RH or debian
distros, but haven't tried yet so I'm not sure if it's even possible.