[virt-tools-list] howto use storage pools for cloning?

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Wed Mar 17 08:22:29 UTC 2010

On 03/15/10 16:25, Cole Robinson wrote:

> You can just specify the full path to the new storage. If the
> destination pool is  /dest/pool, just use
>
> --file /dest/pool/new_volume_name.img
>
> Or did I misunderstand what you mean?

Maybe. I would like to clone a domain without knowing the
number of storage volumes, nor the type of the destination
storage pool.

Actually I don't want to see storage volumes for creating
or managing domains at all, but I understand that I have to
deal with their size, number and sequence sometimes.

Their "path" (and maybe even their name) could be hidden by
the storage pool. That kind of abstraction would allow me to
clone a domain without knowing the number or paths of the
source storage volumes. I would just have to specify the
destination pool, and the virt-tools/libvirt do the rest.

Does this make sense?

Regards

Harri