[virt-tools-list] connection refused when connecting to a VM

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:46:39 UTC 2011

I have been regularly logging in to a virtualization setup of mine and
have been using it.
Today after noon I logged in as usual and typed virt-manager
I got following error

Unable to open a connection to the libvirt management daemon.
Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Verify that:
 - The 'libvirt-bin' package is installed
 - The 'libvirtd' daemon has been started
 - That you have access to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock'

system':
unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': Connection refused
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 896,
in _try_open
    None], flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 111, in openAuth
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock':
Connection refused

Any idea as what might be causing this problem and what should I check in here?