[virt-tools-list] [RFC 2 of2] adding 802.1Qbg VSI type support to virtinst and virtmanager

Gerhard Stenzel gstenzel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 11 10:19:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 14:52 -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:

> Some general comments:
>
> Does specifying virtualport settings only apply for an interface of
> type='direct'? If so, it would be nice to hide the 'Virtual Port' expander for
> all other interface types, since I'm guessing 99% of users will never need
> this functionality.

done, showing only for direct interfaces.

> Please make the expander look more like the 'Advanced Options' expander for
> disk settings. Particularly remove text bolding, indent the entire expander
> from the left, increase spacing between the expander and the above info, and
> make sure the table has similar spacing between rows and columns.

mostly done, since only few people will see it I tried to minimize
layouting (I am no GTK expert either, unfortunately).

> Does every field need to be shown to the user _and_ editable? For example,
> does 'type' need to be editable? How important is the instance id/uuid and
> will the user ever have a reason to specify one by hand?

At the moment, the user/system admin can use "virsh edit" to add or
modify the VSI parameters he is given by his network admin.
With this patch the user can edit the values directly in virt-manager
and does not have to switch between "virsh edit" and virt-manager.

> In fact it might be useful if you could provide a few use cases for this
> functionality in general, and what all the XML properties mean, since I'm
> pretty ignorant here. (in fact, none of this XML seems documented in the
> libvirt docs which I would highly recommend remedying :)

done, documentation sent to libvir-list

--
Best regards,

Gerhard Stenzel,
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen