[virt-tools-list] virt-manager issues

Trey Nolen tnolen at internetpro.net
Fri Apr 27 20:38:29 UTC 2012

> Your problem is nothing to do with libguestfs, but anyway.
>
> libguestfs depends on a working qemu, which is broken in Ubuntu 12.04.
> See this thread:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2012-April/thread.html#00028
>
> and this bug comment:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/seabios/+bug/931371/comments/12
>
> We don't have anyone maintaining libguestfs in Ubuntu, so what you are
> getting is just random packages pulled out of Debian.  Not
> surprisingly that often doesn't work.  I do my best to help out, but
> it's not my primary development platform, and I don't have permissions
> to commit the required fixes to qemu/seabios in Ubuntu.
>
> Rich.

I'm not sure this is correct anymore.  According to the thread at

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2012-April/thread.html#00028

Precise is shipping with febootstrap 3.12, but I'm showing that I do
have 3.14 installed with the release version of 12.04:
# febootstrap --version
febootstrap 3.14

The other link is talking about an issue with blank disk images, which I
don't have, so I'm not sure it is relevant either.

Now, I *did* get the toolbar I was talking about when opening a guest on
a different machine (also running 12.04, so it must be something
workstation-specific.  Any idea what would cause the viewer to only show
the console and not have the tool bar which allows you to view machine
information?  I can give some more virt-manager debug output if needed.

Trey Nolen